[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ crash caused by channel leak?

Matthew Sackman matthew at lshift.net
Fri Mar 12 11:40:59 GMT 2010

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 11:37:09AM +0000, Matthew Sackman wrote:
> > Based on the number of channels in the logged dictionary, I'm guessing I hit a limit on the number of channels, which I'm guessing was the cause of the crash.  Does this sound like a likely cause?  I've identified and removed the code that was creating all the channels, but I'm concerned that it appears to be so easy for a single rogue client to take down the entire server.  Is there a way for me to prevent this?
>
> Mmmm, that's a good point, and no, there's no such knob.

Having said all that however, be aware that you'll also crash if you run
out of file descriptors, and you can also explode rabbit by creating
lots of queues - there are no limits on either of these. So there are,
sadly, several vectors for DoS attacks just at the moment.

/me raises further bugs.

Matthew