[rabbitmq-discuss] Error running rabbitmqctl

Russell Borogove russell at borogove.org
Thu Jun 24 18:56:43 BST 2010

On Jun 24, 2010, at 9:57 AM, David Wragg wrote:

>> So I repeat my question -- does rabbit expect [MACPORTS_PREFIX]?
>
> Rabbit does not look at MACPORTS_PREFIX.  As with other macports ports,
> the rabbitmq-server portfile takes its prefix from the macports config.

I was asking more about the runtime cookie-seeking behavior.

My guess is the root of the problem here is that the environment, specifically $HOME,
isn't changed when a regular user is interactively running 'sudo rabbitmq-server' per
http://www.rabbitmq.com/install.html#running-macports. $HOME remains ~russell, so
that's where the cookie is found:

russell at shard ~: sudo su -m rabbitmq -c "echo $HOME"
/Users/russell