[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ+STOMP: how to trigger events upon connect/subscribe to stomp destinations?

Marek Majkowski majek04 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 17 14:53:56 BST 2010

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 13:39, Willi Richert <w.richert at gmx.net> wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 17. Juni 2010 13:47:32 schrieb Marek Majkowski:
>> Just out of interest, can I ask is there any particular reason why
>> RabbitMQ+STOMP
>> might be better for you than MorbidQ?
>
> MorbidQ works well for very small installations. Its web page says that for
> production you would rather want to rely on e.g. rabbitmq.
> http://www.morbidq.com

Thanks.

> The point is that if a user closes its browser, the javascript on that page
> (if the user is visiting my site) has no change to signal any away messages
> (like STOMP's unsubscribe). The only sure way to handle that is within the
> broker.

Ok. Now I get it. We call it "presence". Like always, Tony did some experiments:
  http://lists.rabbitmq.com/pipermail/rabbitmq-discuss/2010-May/007254.html
but again, it's experimental, not supported, blah, blah blah.

I had similar issue in the past, but I assumed that I don't want the
"unsubscribe"
message to be send when user does F5/page reload. What I wanted was
to send the "unsubscribe" notification when user disappears for more
than 5 seconds.

Implementing that isn't trivial. I'd probably go for hacking orbited
or bridging stomp
with your web app via some asynchronous server, like node.js or tornadoweb.

We don't have a consistent story for this problem, but we'd like to have!
If you find any better solution or have any thoughts on Tony's presence plugin,
please let us know.

Marek