[rabbitmq-discuss] Rabbitmq Crash

Matthew Sackman matthew at rabbitmq.com
Thu Jun 17 12:11:44 BST 2010

Hi Waqas,

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 02:34:29PM +0500, Waqas Badar wrote:
> We are using rabbitmq. When queues exceed 200000 messages then most of
> the time rabbitmq crashes. Even rabbitmq denies to start untill we
> delete the mnesia files. Its crash dump is attached with this mail. Has
> any one also faced this issue? That is very regularly for us. Any help?

More useful to us is the rabbit logs and the rabbit-sasl logs. I suspect
you've run out of memory. This is a well known issue with the current
version of RabbitMQ and is caused by the fact that Rabbit always keeps
all messages in RAM.

This is being solved by the "new persister" which is frequently
mentioned on list. The "new persister" is currently towards the end of
its path through QA and is widely used by the community. It is however
still unreleased, and you have to compile from source. The new persister
allows Rabbit to push messages to disk and release them from RAM when it
starts to run out of RAM, thus solving the problem I suspect you're
suffering from.

Matthew