[rabbitmq-discuss] how does the rabbitmq transport cope with WAN links?

Matthias Radestock matthias at rabbitmq.com
Tue Jun 15 10:14:00 BST 2010

Nikos,

On 01/06/10 20:05, Nikos Michalakis wrote:
> It seems to me that the only difference between the cluster and the
> shovel is that you have one WAN connection vs multiple ones. The
> failure detection and reconnect mechanisms seem to be the same.

Clustering and the shovel actually have quite different failure
characteristics. With Erlang clustering, when a node is unreachable the
queues on that node are considered temporarily unavailable and rabbit
won't attempt to route messages to them. By contrast, when using the
shovel the messages stay buffered at the sender and will eventually be
routed to the recipient broker when the connection is re-established.

Regards,

Matthias.