[rabbitmq-discuss] Java Client + Android

Miguel Morales therevoltingx at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 09:57:07 BST 2010

Well, the only method that the Android docs provide is to call
System.gc() which make the JVM schedule a GC run.
This wouldn't help in the inner loop, but it's what I do right after I
connect and setup the queues.

I'm not sure how I can influence the GC in a stock android device beyond that.
>From googling on how to influence the GC in java, some people give
some tips such as setting the objects to null, and some other java
trickery that I'll have to try.

However, from the android google blog, it seems the dalvik (which
android uses) JVM doesn't support such optimizations:
http://android-developers.blogspot.com/2009/02/track-memory-allocations.html

Also, the JIT is coming to Android soon, I'm not entirely familiar
with how it works, but I'll keep looking.    I'm not sure if this will
work on the older devices though.
http://developer.android.com/reference/java/lang/Compiler.html

Other than that, I haven't tried any other compiler trickery, mainly
because this is my first app using java.
Again, any java related hints would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Miguel