[rabbitmq-discuss] [Ann] pylibrabbitmq - Python bindings to rabbitmq-c

Ask Solem askh at opera.com
Mon Jun 14 14:29:37 BST 2010

On Jun 14, 2010, at 12:38 PM, Marek Majkowski wrote:

> Are current python libraries too slow (do you have any benchmarks)?

Just did a simple benchmark, but take it with a shot of salt because I
have quite a lot of other apps running and I could be testing the wrong
things.

basic.publish: (256 byte messages)
    amqplib:   13.48 usec/pass
    librabbit: 6.81 usec/pass
basic.consume (5000 msg/pass)
    amqplib:   10.34 usec/pass
    librabbit: 4.49 usec/pass

The benchmark script is here:

But the real interesting benchmark is the celery one:

amqplib: concurrency=4 100 * 100 tasks.add roundtrip:   30.21 usec/pass
librabbit: concurrency=4 100 * 100 tasks.add roundtrip:   8.86 usec/pass

That is the time taken to send a task to celery, for celery to execute the task, send the
return value back as a message, and then the benchmark recieves the result again (roundtrip time)

I guess the speed improvement is mainly about threading. Celery is highly dependent of threads, and pylibrabbitmq releases the GIL in strategic places. Just a hunch though.

--
{Ask Solem,
 Developer ~ Webteam,