[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ production setup questions around clustering

Dave Greggory davegreggory at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 21 22:47:27 BST 2010

Sending to list...

----- Forwarded Message ----
From: Aaron Westendorf <aaron at agoragames.com>
To: Dave Greggory <davegreggory at yahoo.com>
Cc: rabbitmq-discuss at lists.rabbitmq.com
Sent: Wed, July 21, 2010 5:02:46 PM
Subject: Re: [rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ production setup questions around
clustering

Dave,

I intend to write up a blog post on our cluster setup which will
hopefully address some of your questions.  You're trying to set up
your cluster much the way we originally did, but it's not quite the
way Rabbit or AMQP operate.

Think of it as the postal service, where exchanges are your
street-corner deposit boxes and office tellers, and the postal service
is the cluster itself.  Your address is your routing scheme, and that
routing key will deliver a message to your postal box.  The box/queue
is the ultimate endpoint, it lives in a discrete location, and you
have to go to your local post office and consume the mail out of it.

Your load balancer will be of little use for consumers, as your
consumers must be connecting to the node on which your queues reside.
Load balancing can be used for your producers though, in cases where
they are easily separated.

I've heard redirect is removed from later specifications.  Regardless,
I recommend turning the "insist" flag on and avoiding redirects
altogether, because they're inconsistent with the way AMQP clustering
works.

I hope that gives you a good start.

-Aaron

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 4:43 PM, Dave Greggory <davegreggory at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are setting up a RabbitMQ cluster as our message broker for servicing our
> guaranteed delivery needs. We will have a local data store on our producers
for
> guaranteeing delivery, but we don't want to resort to that except as a last
> ditch effort in cases of catastrophic failures. I would like to better
> understand how the cluster setup in RabbitMQ works.
>
> Our setup:
> 2 rabbitmq nodes clustered together sitting behind a hardware load balancer.
> Upon initial release, our message volume will not be that high, but it will
>grow
> real fast once we offload more work to the message broker from our current
> non-messaging based infrastructure. Since the initial volume is not very high,
> we do not intend to use the load balancer for actual load balancing but to
> always send connections to a specific rabbitmq node in the cluster. If
RabbitMQ

--
Aaron Westendorf
Senior Software Engineer