[rabbitmq-discuss] rabbitmq with one producer no consumer

Ovidiu Deac ovidiudeac at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 18:33:14 BST 2010

First of all thanks for the answers. Second I'll explain the situation
a little better.

The big picture is like this: we receive orders from outside and they
are put in rabbit by our "gateway" and then routed by rabbit to the
processing modules. The whole business is about handling those
messages and if we are unable to receive messages from outside is very
bad so basically our gateway should be up all the time.

Normally all the orders coming in should be handled smoothly BUT if
something happens to the consumers and they have a downtime the
producer has no way to stop the incoming messages. Also we always want
to be able to accept messages because we are payed for each incoming
message.

Normally the system admin should handle the problem and restart the
consumers. As I was saying before, we are testing for the worst case
scenario, to see what the limits of RabbitMQ are. We want to see how
can we extend these limits to increase the time we have until the
queues get full.

>From our calculations if rabbitmq could hold 500k messages up to
300bytes each we would be pretty safe as that would give us enough
time to react. The 200k limit is a little tight.

ovidiu