[rabbitmq-discuss] timed / delayed messages

Marek Majkowski majek04 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 11:30:45 BST 2010

On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 21:46, Akhil Kodali <akhil.kodali at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> If I use this approach I'd end up having 2 hrs worth of messages in the
> queue.
> It aint much now but I see it going upto 20,000 in 2 hrs quickly.
> Or would it be better making a DB query to do the same. Going through all
> the rows doesnt seem right.
> What I wanted to check was, are queues build for such a use case or is there
> a better way of doing it?

RabbitMQ should be able to handle 20k messages without any troubles.
But as all the messages are stored in memroy, please make sure that
you have enough RAM+swap available.

You also should make sure that the messages are relatively small.

If you want to handle even more data in queues, you could use our experimental
code. In one of our development code branches we try to make rabbit dump queues
to the disk, when it's running short of memory.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
  Marek Majkowski