[rabbitmq-discuss] 21673 never recovers from emfile

Scott Brooks scott.brooks at epicadvertising.com
Fri Jan 15 16:18:39 GMT 2010

On 2010-01-15, at 11:09 AM, Matthew Sackman wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 09:57:00AM -0600, tsuraan wrote:
>>> Hmmm, interesting find. I don't think that this is related to the file
>>> descriptor management that's going on in the new persister, but I'll
>>> certainly test and see if I can reproduce.
>>
>> Ok, some better test conditions:
>
> Many thanks for these. The Erlang VM gets very upset when it runs out of
> available file descriptors. The safest thing to do is just to massively
> raise the limit through ulimit. That said, we do have some plans to be
> able to artificially limit the number of FDs Rabbit is using to a little
> less than the actual limit. This would allow Rabbit to successfully
> refuse new connections when it gets to this artificial limit, and leave
> enough FDs around for the VM to continue with.
>
> Matthew

Can you confirm if this bug exists in 1.7.0?
We have seen some rare crashes that look similar to this on 1.7.0.

Thanks

Scott Brooks
Web Developer
Epic Advertising - New York, Toronto, San Francisco, London
www.EpicAdvertising.com
60 Columbia Way, Suite 310
Markham, ON L3R 0C9
(905) 946-0300 x2356 - phone