[rabbitmq-discuss] Version numbers for librabbitmq-c?

Tony Garnock-Jones tonyg at lshift.net
Sat Feb 27 00:47:10 GMT 2010

Stuart Herbert wrote:
> I haven't dug into the internals of the library yet, and AMQ is
> something that is still new to me. Why isn't it possible to support
> both protocols from the one release?

Well; multi-protocol support is perfectly *possible*, but I didn't start
out with it in mind (my mistake!) and retrofitting it would be a lot of
effort, so in the interests of my laid-back beach lifestyle I'm letting
the separate variants live on separate branches for now :-)

I've done a 0-8/0-9/0-9-1 multiprotocol library once before---the .NET
library---and while it worked, it sure was bloody fiddly, largely
because of the deeply unpleasant type system. Actually, that's a lie,
I've done it twice before: the other time was in Smalltalk, and there it
worked like a dream, scarcely more effort than uniprotocol support.
Smalltalk rules.

Tony