[rabbitmq-discuss] amqp_login -> AMQP_RESPONSE_NONE (RabbitMQ C Client)

Tony Garnock-Jones tonyg at lshift.net
Thu Feb 18 03:34:57 GMT 2010

Hi Frank,

Thanks for posting the code. I think I see the problem.

Frank Gönninger wrote:
>   amqp_login( psContext->psPIBAMQPConnection->psConnection,
>               psContext->psPIBAMQPConnection->pcAMQPVirtualHost,
>               psContext->psPIBAMQPConnection->nAMQPChannelMax,
>               psContext->psPIBAMQPConnection->nAMQPFrameMax,
>               psContext->psPIBAMQPConnection->nAMQPHeartbeat,
>               psContext->psPIBAMQPConnection->nAMQPSaslMethod,
>               psContext->psPIBAMQPConnection->pcAMQPUser,
>               psContext->psPIBAMQPConnection->pcAMQPPassword );
>
>   nRC = nCheckAMQPRpcReply( psContext, amqp_get_rpc_reply(),
>                             __FILE__, __LINE__, __func__ );

The problem is that amqp_get_rpc_reply() is only intended for use with
API operations that don't themselves return an amqp_rpc_reply_t. The
amqp_login function does return an amqp_rpc_reply_t value, so you should
be checking that instead of the result of amqp_get_rpc_reply(). It's
confusing and undocumented, I know; I'm working on making it less
confusing and improving the documentation too.

[Aside: everything after the SASL method argument to amqp_login is
varargs, so if you're hard-coding the username and password in those
positions, it makes sense to remove your nAMQPSaslMethod field and
instead hardcode AMQP_SASL_METHOD_PLAIN.]

I've also changed the code just now to no longer ignore the result of
amqp_login_inner. Thanks for the bug reports!

Regards,
  Tony