[rabbitmq-discuss] Poor performance using a single RabbitMQ connection on high-latency networks

Matthew Sackman matthew at lshift.net
Fri Feb 5 16:59:50 GMT 2010

Hi Holger,

On Tue, Feb 02, 2010 at 06:26:54PM +0100, Holger Hoffstaette wrote:
> Fair enough, but I'm not sure why the values have to be even smaller than
> e.g. Linux' vanilla defaults. Ideally - and given that Rabbit is mostly
> used on Linux/Unix - they should not be necessary at all, especially as
> they prevent any client-side settings from taking effect (I think - would
> have to check with wireshark).

I've just done some testing and found that removing our settings and
relying on the OS to set them does not, in any case I can come up with,
improve performance. I'm curious - you've said that you always set them
to 65536, and there certainly seems to be evidence that that helps over
WANs. But what about with no explicit setting of sndbuf and recbuf over
WANs. Is the performance the same as manually setting to 65536, or the
same as our explicit defaults, or something else?

Many thanks,

Matthew