[rabbitmq-discuss] Poor performance using a single RabbitMQ connection on high-latency networks

Vladimir Balandin vbalandin at griddynamics.com
Mon Feb 1 13:47:03 GMT 2010

Here is a code example:

        final AMQP.BasicProperties props = MessageProperties.BASIC;
        final byte[] body = new byte[64000];

        long startTime = System.nanoTime();
        for (int i = 0; i < MESSAGE_COUNT; i++) {
            try {
               channel.basicPublish("",queueName, false, false, props,
body);
            } catch (Exception cause) {
               cause.printStackTrace();
               return null;
            }
         }
        long endTime = System.nanoTime();

On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 4:33 PM, Matthew Sackman <matthew at lshift.net> wrote:

> Thanks for forwarding that to the list, Holger.
>
> Vladimir, we have sometimes seen very strange things with Windows and
> some firewall products doing deep inspection on traffic that's going to
> the internet at large - XML based content often triggers this. Could you
> make sure all firewalls are off, or try using SSL?
>
> You don't state which client you're using. If you can cut the code down
> to a small example which demonstrates this problem we can certainly take
> a look at that.
>
> We know of several clients who are publishing to Rabbit at high speed
> over a WAN - there is nothing inherently tricky here.
>
> On Mon, Feb 01, 2010 at 02:23:37PM +0100, Holger Hoffstaette wrote:
> > Also we have created a simple client-server application which simply
> > writes data to stream and measure performance: we have seen throughput
> > is about 350 kB/s (it is about 40% of network usage, what is a pretty
> > good for us, because we can use three or four connections on this
> > network to arrive at least 90% of network usage). We don't understand
> > why RabbitMQ have poor performance using single TCP connection on our
> case.
>
> I have a suspicion this is a firewall issue - with your simple
> streaming, do I assume the data is all nulls, or random? And with your
> Rabbit tests, is the data XML?
>
> Matthew

Vladimir Balandin
Grid Dynamics