[rabbitmq-discuss] STOMP plugin, changes, usage example in python

Matthias Radestock matthias at rabbitmq.com
Fri Dec 17 11:33:15 GMT 2010

Matt,

Matt Miller wrote:
> I have been using the STOMP gateway plugin for RabbitMQ 2.1.1 for
> some time, and it works great. The only hurdles I had in the past was
> a lack of documentation and usage examples. I believe part of the
> reason is the volatility of the protocol specification itself..?

The changes are not so much due to volatility in the spec but ambiguity
and underspecification, which means that in order to make STOMP do
anything useful, implementors have to invent a whole bunch of stuff.

> I receive a:
>
> ListenerException: Error received headers:{'message': 'Unknown
> destination', 'content-type': 'text/plain', 'content-length': '86'},
> message:'' is not a valid destination. Valid exchange types are:
> /exchange, /topic or /queue.
>
> To remedy the error I changed my subscription line to include
> '/topic' as the destination.
>
> My only concern is that this may change again in the future. Why did
> this change?

We are trying to get more in line with what other STOMP server
implementations do. See
http://hg.rabbitmq.com/rabbitmq-stomp/file/rabbitmq_v2_2_0/DESIGN.md for
the design around the particular change which you stumbled across.

Regards,

Matthias.