[rabbitmq-discuss] (no subject)

Chris Chew chrisch at ecollege.com
Tue Dec 7 17:11:25 GMT 2010

Hi folks.

On Dec 7, 2010, at 8:07 AM, Marek Majkowski wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 13:55, David ODonnell
> <david.j.odonnell at hotmail.com> wrote:
>> The average latency for RabbitMQ seems very high compared to the minimum.
>> Are there any OS settings for Linux which could be set to improve those
>> values?
>> Latency would be critical for the application I am working on
>
> Frankly speaking I have no idea. It might be JVM timing issues, it might
> be bug in MulticastMain, or network latency. Or maybe even RabbitMQ latency.

More generally, I'm coming to realize that tuning the test client is one of the most important parts of performance testing and experimentation.

Along those lines I've found that using a combo of the "concurrent mark sweep" and the ergonomic "par new" collectors returned much more predictable results than using the VM defaults.

GC tuning seems to be a more like a black art than anything else.  But this article is what started me down the path:  http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/Programming/turbo/

Cheers,

Chris