[rabbitmq-discuss] problem with new persiter with 1000 topics/queues

alex chen chen650 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 24 21:09:49 BST 2010

> Based on your previous  comments I am assuming you have 100/1000 *queues*,
>right?

right.  we map bind one topic to one queue.

> With 1000  queues the memory is more fragmented than with 100 queues and a lot
>more things  are going on in parallel. That makes it harder for the persister to
>keep memory  usage in check. Particularly if your file descriptor limit is also
>low.

So is there a plan to improve the memory usage in the new persister?  if not, we
have to order new machines with 16 GB RAM instead of the current 8 GB.  If we
increase the file descriptor limit, would it reduce to memory usage?
i saw the following line in rabbit.log:
"Limiting to approx 16284 file handles (14654 sockets)"
is this too low?

thanks a lot for all the inputs you provide on this problem.  that would help us
to figure out the system bottleneck and do the hardware planning accordingly.

-alex