[rabbitmq-discuss] Producers hanging when reaching high memory watermark on 1.8.1

Aaron Westendorf aaron at agoragames.com
Mon Aug 16 15:29:57 BST 2010

On Sun, Aug 15, 2010 at 11:05 PM, Matthias Radestock
<matthias at rabbitmq.com> wrote:
> In some setups a higher threshold may be safe, but disabling flow control
> altogether is not advisable.

Could you elaborate on this a little more?  With enough disk and the
latest kernels, it seems that Linux will page Erlang correctly even if
its memory usage nears the quantity of RAM.  We're using monit on all
our hosts, so we'd know in advance of run-away memory usage, and can
take corrective action without flow control kicking in across our
entire infrastructure.  Things will be slow for sure, but in a shared
environment, we'd rather address the few mis-behaving clients than
shift the burden of memory management to all of our clients, which is
effectively what pausing client publishing is doing.

I could be mis-reading your recommendation though and the implications
of disabling flow control.

cheers,
Aaron

--