[rabbitmq-discuss] New Persister merged into default

Matthew Sackman matthew at rabbitmq.com
Wed Aug 11 13:17:06 BST 2010

Hi Aoron,

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 07:23:42AM -0400, Aaron Westendorf wrote:
> I can't begin tell you how fantastic it is to hear that.  Is Rabbit
> using mmap for those files to take advantage of kernel caching and
> paging?

Sadly, no: Erlang does not expose an mmap interface, though actually
there has been a recent thread on erlang-questions about how to
implement this. However, we do do very aggressive caching and work hard
to make as much use of kernel disk buffers as possible: we try to play
nice with the kernel. With a little tuning, we can easily saturate disk
write bandwidth, so it seems we're doing something right ;)

Matthew