[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ not accepting messages after a limit

Matthias Radestock matthias at rabbitmq.com
Wed Aug 11 07:34:14 BST 2010

Abhishek,

Abhishek K wrote:
> I am running a RabbitMQ instance and when I push data in the terms of
> around 3.7 lakh messages the Rabbit stops accepting data and stalls. All
> queues are durable and messages are persistant . I am on a 2GB machine.
>
> Is it the default behavior?

Yes. All rabbit releases up to the current one require that all messages
fit into RAM. When memory gets tight, rabbit throttles producers.

The much talked about "new persister", which is scheduled to appear in
the next rabbit release, removes the memory constraint, allowing rabbit
to hold as much message data as there is disk space.

Regards,

Matthias.