[rabbitmq-discuss] Silverlight application with RabbitMQ

Tony Garnock-Jones tonyg at lshift.net
Tue Apr 27 23:49:28 BST 2010

Hi Jens,

Aernouts Jens wrote:
> missing classes in Silverlight like TcpClient, XmlDocument, ArrayList, …

Wow, what a crippled environment. (Although actually I wonder why we depend on
XmlDocument. Hmm. The other dependencies seem reasonable though!)

> - Tried the STOMP plug-in, because there is a (working) Silverlight
> client for STOMP. Sending of text works, but we have to send binary data
> (Protobuf serialized). This does not work, the received data is wrong
> (both the content as the length). We’re not sure if it’s the RabbitMQ
> STOMP plugin or the STOMP client that’s doing something wrong with
> binary data. Is there someone who already managed to send binary data
> over STOMP?

Yep. STOMP is capable of carrying binary data without encoding. The client
simply needs to use a content-length header to let the server know reliably
when the message body ends. The RabbitMQ STOMP adapter processes these
according to the spec, and I've personally seen binary data carried across the
wire OK.

> - Get the RabbitMQ client Project to compile against the Silverlight
> runtime. This is not undoable, but requires some work. Would someone be
> interested in a Silverlight version of the RabbitMQ client?

I think this sounds very interesting! If we could split the .NET client into a
core that could compile against Silverlight and other reduced runtimes, and an
outer layer that includes some of the convenience code that only runs on a full
.NET environment, then that would be very cool.

Regards,
  Tony