[rabbitmq-discuss] Behavior of consumers listening to the same queue

Pierre Coquentin pcoquentin at sierrawireless.com
Sat Apr 24 09:56:21 BST 2010

Hello
I am working on an integration of AMQP and I have one question.
I noticed a behavior that surprised me a little. For example, if I register two consumers on two different channels on a shared connection, listening to the same queue, I realized that the messages were processed one by one using round robin strategy, ie the second consumer will not process a message until the first consumer has finished processing the previous message and so on. I thought the messages would be treated as independent if I used different channels.
Is there no way to ensure that messages are processed in parallel by both consumers except by registering them on two different connections ? Or am I just missing something ?

Best regards,

Pierre