[rabbitmq-discuss] rabbitmq-shovel

Matthias Radestock matthias at rabbitmq.com
Thu Apr 22 07:40:37 BST 2010

Mark,

Mark Lin wrote:
> Wanted to get shovel to work, but am getting
>
> {amqp_error,access_refused, "access to vhost 'vtest' refused for user
> 'shovel'", 'connection.open'}}
>
> from the rabbit server.
>
> I am sure the username and password are correct.

Have you granted the 'shovel' user access to the vhost 'vtest'? See
http://www.rabbitmq.com/admin-guide.html#set_permissions - so something like
   rabbitmqctl set_permissions -p vtest shovel ".*" ".*" ".*"
should do the trick.

> From the bql security document,
> http://www.rabbitmq.com/rabbitmq-bql.html#bql-security-rules, showing
> the exact same error, it seems that I HAVE to use bql ...

No, you don't have to use bql; rabbitmqctl (which ships with the broker)
is all you need.

> to grant permission to amq.default(which doesn't actually exist on
> the OSX 1.7.0 build of rabbitmq).

'amq.default' is a pseudonym for the otherwise nameless default
exchange. From http://www.rabbitmq.com/admin-guide.html#access-control ...

"For convenience RabbitMQ maps AMQP's default exchange's blank name to
'amq.default' when performing permission checks."

Whether or not the shovel user needs access to the default exchange
depends on the rest of your shovel configuration. But in any case the
".*" regexps in the above set_permissions call will cover that.

> By the way, the version of rabbitmq-shovel I downloaded via hg has a
> few parameter modifications differ from given example in the blog.

The shovel, like the rest of the code base, is evolving, so for the most
up to date documentation always refer to the docs shipped with the code,
i.e. http://hg.rabbitmq.com/rabbitmq-shovel/file/default/README in this
case.

Regards,

Matthias.