[rabbitmq-discuss] Bound Queues

Tony Garnock-Jones tonyg at lshift.net
Tue Apr 13 03:41:40 BST 2010

Dan Di Spaltro wrote:
> Is there anyway you can specify a memory/disk/length limit to a queue
> size with the action being a similar to a fixed window?

Not at the moment, no.

> If not, is there any chance it is on the roadmap?  I know its not in
> the amqp spec, but it could be treated like a header.

It's not exactly on the roadmap, but it's something we've considered before.
There are some questions that need careful thought though, some of which have
more than one valid answer, mostly around the issue of what should happen once
a configured limit is reached. Would you expect newly-arriving messages to be
dropped? Would you expect the oldest enqueued messages to be dropped? Would you
expect to be warned about the dropped messages? Would you expect dropped
messages to be re-published somewhere, through some kind of dead-letter
exchange? How would queue limits interact with
delivered-but-not-yet-acknowledged messages? How would queue limits interact
with transactionally-published messages? How would queue limits interact with
the "mandatory" and "immediate" flags?

Regards,
  Tony