[rabbitmq-discuss] General approaches for tracking unreclaimed memory

Garrett Smith g at rre.tt
Mon Oct 26 18:41:44 GMT 2009

Apart from using rabbitmqctrl to check some of the more obvious
sources for lost memory (e.g. connections, queues, etc.) are there
other techniques for tracking down where the broker might be
allocating resources that aren't cleaned up?

As this is Erlang, I'd assume one point of focus is process creation
and using whatever techniques are used in Erlang -- e.g. tracing, etc.

One thing I see routinely in the rabbit logs that I'd like to cleanup is:

exception on TCP connection <0.31875.6> from XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:XXXXX
connection_closed_abruptly

However, using pidstat, I see memory allocation in the beam process
occurring independently of those log messages.

Garrett