[rabbitmq-discuss] What does "beta" mean for RabbitMQ?

Uwe Kubosch uwe at datek.no
Tue Oct 20 08:16:23 BST 2009

Hi Alexis!

Thank you for the quick reply.

My initial thoughts:

'beta' implies 'unfinished' and 'unstable'

'release candidate' better reflects your description of the status of
the release.

Make an event of declaring a release "final", and announce this event
in the initial release announcement.  Something like:

"This release has 'release candidate' status pending user feedback and
will be declared as 'final' in 4 weeks unless major bugs are
detected.  We recommend that developers, testers and non-critical
systems using earlier versions of RabbitMQ upgrade to this latest
release."

Then 4 weeks later:  "RabbitMQ 1.8.0 declared final!  The package has
been downloaded 4 million times and we have received positive feedback
from our users.  No major bugs have been reported.  We recommend that
all users of earlier versions of RabbitMQ upgrade to this latest
release."

If you detect major bugs, you do not announce the 'final' status.  You
should announce the bug instead and include when the bug is expected
to fixed.  Something like "A major bug was reported and will be fixed
in the 1.9.0 release.

Personally I like patch level releases to quickly fix bugs to make a
minor release branch stable, but i realize it takes less organization
and effort to fix the bug in the next minor release.

I also like packaging the release candidate with an 'rc1' in the
version string like rabbitmq-server-1.8.0rc1, but that requires
repackaging when the final release is out, so keeping the same package
but declaring it stable after a while saves the extra packaging.

Really, any solution that keeps me from browsing around looking for
the 'stable' release is good :)

Uwe