[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ 1.7.0 release

Alexis Richardson alexis.richardson at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 08:21:08 BST 2009

Michael

Thank-you for your questions.  The way we use 'beta' is perhaps
slightly different from the expectation implied in your post.  We'd
love any advice you have on this and how to make our language clearer.

We have a reasonably frequent release cycle, making a 1.x release on
average every 3-4 months.  Sometimes there are even shorter gaps
between releases.  We have a pretty thorough QA process for these
releases, and push as many bug fixes into them as we can.  This is why
we recommend that people upgrade.  The "beta" status reflects the fact
that our QA process may not have caught everything,  Some users may
want to wait a few weeks (or longer) to see how others get on.

So we should probably have declared 1.6 "stable" by now.  It is
certainly seen as a stable release based on feedback.  But, it's never
going to contain all the changes that went into 1.7.

We are constrained in how many versions we can support, so the 1.x
upgrades will be the norm for the time being, rather than 1.x.y drops
every few weeks.  We can support specific builds commercially.

Please can you let us know what you think of this.  As I say, we want
to make everything clearer and better.

alexis