[rabbitmq-discuss] intermittent erl.exe crash

Matthew Sackman matthew at lshift.net
Tue Nov 17 10:54:27 GMT 2009

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 11:01:31AM -0800, JD Conley wrote:
> Yeah, that's what I thought. But yesterday I added acking just to see if it
> would help and the memory footprint no longer grows out of control and the
> process hasn't crashed since. I wonder if either the .NET client or rabbit
> isn't honoring the noack for this use case?

The .Net and Java clients definitely honour the noAck flag. Can you
produce a small test case that shows the issue you're seeing?

> > Expiration is not implemented. There is no notion of Time To Live or
> > messages expiring in RabbitMQ. This is an oft requested feature and is
> > high on our todo list, but is not in active development yet.
>
> Add one more to that request number.

Noted; rapidly approaching integer overflow...

> The dump is over 1GB. What is the VM limit for erlang by default? Maybe we
> just hit that? The system has 4gb ram and plenty free to use the 2GB imposed
> user land limit in Windows, not to mention swap space.

Well on a 64-bit Linux system, I've made erlang happily eat 10s of GBs
of memory. I would have thought that erlang should be able to make use
of 2GB in Windows, but that error message suggests to me that's coming
back from malloc, thus it's Windows that's causing the issue. We would
thoroughly recommend you use at least a 64-bit system. ;)

Matthew