[rabbitmq-discuss] compatibility with legacy code

Tony Garnock-Jones tonyg at lshift.net
Tue Nov 10 15:06:10 GMT 2009

Hi Jim,

Jim Irrer wrote:
> checking location of AMQP codegen directory... configure: error: could
> not find AMQP spec file at "'/codegen/amqp-0.9.1.json'"

The MD5sum is correct, b50fd568311a052a45157631ba17c2b5, but are you
sure you're really building the one you just downloaded? For me, using
the file with the MD5sum you provided, I get:

checking location of AMQP codegen directory... configure: error: could
not find AMQP spec file at
"'/Users/tonyg/qq/rabbitmq-c-default/codegen/amqp-0.8.json'"

Note the 0.8 version number.

> Am I supposed to get that file from somewhere else, or should it be in
> the tarball?

You should retrieve rabbitmq-codegen as well. Sorry for the incomplete
instructions, I really must write this up properly and check it in.
Here's a complete recipe for building the C client and examples, on the
0-8 branch.

 curl http://hg.rabbitmq.com/rabbitmq-codegen/archive/default.tar.gz\
 curl http://hg.rabbitmq.com/rabbitmq-c/archive/default.tar.gz\
  | tar -zxf -
 mv rabbitmq-codegen-default rabbitmq-codegen
 mv rabbitmq-c-default rabbitmq-c
 cd rabbitmq-c
 autoreconf -i
 ./configure
 make

Alternatively, if you have mercurial installed:

 hg clone http://hg.rabbitmq.com/rabbitmq-codegen
 hg clone http://hg.rabbitmq.com/rabbitmq-c
 cd rabbitmq-c
 autoreconf -i
 ./configure
 make

> Also, I have doubts that this will work anyway, because the RabbitMQ server
> is running at version 0.8, so it won't be compatible with this client.

The "default" branches of both the C client and the server are for 0-8,
and do work together.

Cheers,
  Tony