[rabbitmq-discuss] DNS Issues / Error: cannot_get_pid

Michael Elsdörfer michael at elsdoerfer.com
Fri Nov 6 12:47:38 GMT 2009

I am running into this problem:

http://old.nabble.com/Re:-getting-started,-broker-runs--can't-get-status-p21759181.html
http://old.nabble.com/Re:-getting-started,-broker-runs--can't-get-status-p21816912.html

That is, when trying to start up the server it hangs for a long time,
before ending with "Error: cannot_get_pid" in startup_err. In the
background, the server seems to be running though, and two ... processes
are also run by the rabbitmq user, so apparently it is trying to do some
DNS resolving.

My hostname resolves to a public ip address, and communication on there
is dropped by the firewall. If I point it to localhost in /etc/hosts,
everything works fine.

I wonder if there is another solution (I couldn't find one in the thread
above). Can't I tell rabbitmq to just bind to loopback? It's really only
supposed to run locally.

Thanks.

Michael