[rabbitmq-discuss] rabbitmq-server restart also restarts epmd

Elliot Murphy elliot at canonical.com
Mon Nov 2 21:26:34 GMT 2009

On 11/02/2009 03:47 PM, Garrett Smith wrote:
 > - Removing the rabbitmq-server package necessitates removal of the
> rabbit user, which necessitates stopping all of its processes. This is
> also pretty obvious.

CouchDB has faced similar issues.

My understanding of Debian and Ubuntu policy/best practice is that
packages should not remove system users that they have created.

I didn't find where this is specified in debian policy, but here is a
wiki page that describes some of the problems with removing system
users: http://wiki.debian.org/AccountHandlingInMaintainerScripts

What we have done for CouchDB in Ubuntu (at the insistence/encouragement
of the core Ubuntu developers) is simply changed the package to not
remove the CouchDB user, and I'd recommend the same change for RabbitMQ.

--
Elliot Murphy | https://launchpad.net/~statik/