[rabbitmq-discuss] Debian dependencies

Matthew Sackman matthew at lshift.net
Thu May 14 14:30:31 BST 2009

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 03:10:34PM +0200, John Leuner wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-05-13 at 12:13 +0100, Matthew Sackman wrote:
> > It
> > seemed to me that erlang-nox should really depend on erlang-os-mon.
> > Is that your feeling too (in which case I'll raise a Debian bug for
> > it) or is there some reason why os-mon has mysteriously been left
> > out?
>
> I'm not sure, I asked the maintainer and he suggested erlang-nox and
> erlang-os-mon.

Oh ok. That strikes me as a bit odd, but I guess if there is some reason
for it...

Btw, don't your current dependencies mean that the package could never
be installed by someone who isn't using the new split-out version of
erlang, or have I missed something?

Because I don't think you're allowed parenthesis in dependencies, I can't
see how to express this more nicely, but don't you really want:

Depends: erlang-nox, erlang-os-mon | erlang-nox (<< 1:13.b-dfsg1-1),
         adduser, logrotate, ${misc:Depends}

I.e. any version of erlang-nox, but if erlang-os-mon isn't installed then
we must have -nox << 1:13.b-dfsg1-1.

That should allow the package to be installed on Debian systems without
the new split-out r13 packages, no?

Matthew