[rabbitmq-discuss] Error running rabbitmq-server on Mac OS X

Matthias Radestock matthias at lshift.net
Thu May 7 07:24:59 BST 2009

Kyle,

Kyle Wilkinson wrote:
> I'm trying to run the rabbitmq-server on my mac, but I keep on running into
> a rather cryptic error:
>
> computer:rabbitmq kyle$ sudo -H -u rabbitmq rabbitmq-server
> {"init terminating in
> do_boot",{undef,[{rabbit,start,[]},{init,start_it,1},{init,start_em,1}]}}

Looks like Erlang cannot find the rabbitmq libraries.

The libs are meant to get installed into the same dir tree as
Erlang/OTP's core libs. That's usually s.t. like /usr/lib/erlang/lib,
but could be different if you installed Erlang manually.

So ...

1) find out where your Erlang libs are installed, e.g. by evaluating
   code:get_path().
in an Erlang shell.

2) find out where your rabbitmq libraries are installed, e.g. by
searching the filesystem for "rabbit.beam"

3) If the two are in a different place, create a symlink from the Erlang
libs dir to the rabbitmq libs.

Regards,

Matthias.