[rabbitmq-discuss] GPB and AMQP/RabbitMQ

Elsner, Robert Robert.Elsner at echostar.com
Wed Mar 25 19:22:03 GMT 2009

Alexis,

> To add to Matthias' point, several people have reported GPB
> with RabbitMQ in the wild, and I know of some looking at
> Thrift with RabbitMQ in at least a casual manner.  The
> community would love to see some public examples ... so "go for it!".

We are using GPB as the message payload for all of our AMQP messages.
We have settled on RabbitMQ as the broker, and have been very pleased
with the results (except for my gripe earlier about the AMQP header
size).  If I get time I may undertake a quick project to make GPB the
wireformat, but without adoption from the AMQP WG this would be an
academic exercise only.  A portion of our GPB defines what will become
the routing key, so this is redundant data, but that would be sweet if
we could build a GPB payload that included the AMQP headers, and the
routing worked directly from that.

One of our goals is to integrate the JavaScript and rabbitmq-http
portions, so that our webcode can make RPC calls the same as all of our
other processes.  We also have some C# applications that we will tie
together with RabbitMQ and GPB.  We also have Erlang projects which use
RabbitMQ as the broker.  It's worked out incredibly well for us, thus
far, and has helped us work toward tool integration without a lot of
headache or investment in writing interop-libraries.

Thanks,
Rob