[rabbitmq-discuss] High cpu usage for Java RabbitMQ client?

Elsner, Robert Robert.Elsner at echostar.com
Tue Mar 24 18:04:16 GMT 2009

Greetings,

I'm trying to figure out if this is something I am doing wrong, or if it
is a problem with the RabbitMQ java client.

Basically I have topic exchanges and messages are posted with keys
similar to:  name.hexnumber.othernumber.finalnumber

The posts comprise approximately a 3Mbit stream that is being converted
to AMQP messages (so the overhead of AMQP is very noticeable, this jumps
to about a 5Mbps if I listen to all messages).  What I see is that even
when nothing is being pushed onto the broker, the java client consumes
approximately one CPU (90-105%) of a dual core machine.  When I track
this down, the trace outputs this:

   2 31.92% 64.00%   16949 301403 java.net.SocketInputStream.socketRead0

So even though there is no data (if I kill the producer) the client is
still very very busy.

Has anyone else seen similar problems to this or am I doing something
wrong?

Thanks,
Rob Elsner