[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ Cluster, option "-setcookie cookie"

Alex Clemesha clemesha at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 05:30:19 GMT 2009

Hi,

I'm looking to use RabbitMQ Cluster in a fairly dynamic way (on Amazon
EC2), and I had a couple questions.

First off, I'm looking to start the cluster in a scripted, dynamic way
- so as far as I understand,
the best way to do this would be create a random cookie and pass it to
all nodes on startup.

In this document: http://www.rabbitmq.com/clustering.html, there is this line:
"As an alternative, you can insert the option "-setcookie
cluster_cookie" in the erl call in the rabbitmq-server and rabbitmqctl
 scripts."

Does this imply I should modify the rabbitmq-server and rabbitmqctl
scripts to have this functionality, or is there some way
(that I'm not seeing yet) to pass "-setcookie cluster_cookie" to
rabbitmq-server and rabbitmqctl scripts?

Secondly, I plan to have my "Provisioning process" that created the
cluster_cookie and started the Cluster to hold onto this cookie
for using later, to conveniently add more nodes to the Cluster.  Do
this sound like a fine pattern, or is there
a better way to do such a thing?

Thanks very much,
Alex

--