[rabbitmq-discuss] problems with rabbitmqctl & rabbitmq-server on RHEL5

Sho Fukamachi sho.fukamachi at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 19:42:29 BST 2009

Hi list,

I've had some issues with rabbitmq on x86_64 RHEL5. At first I had a
problem not being able to run it at all, but tracked down the problem
to conflicting (i386/x86_64) erlang installs. I can now start and
connect to the server using the init.d scripts. I mention that just
for background.

However, when trying to run anything from the command line, things go
a bit pear-shaped. Here's the system:

RHEL 5.2 ( I think ..)
erlang.x86_64 R12B-5.6.el5.1
rabbitmq-server-1.6.0-1.x86_64.rpm (downloaded from web page and
installed via rpm)

Try to run rabbitmqctl:

# rabbitmqctl status
{"init terminating in do_boot",{undef,[{rabbit_control,start,[]},
{init,start_it,1},{init,start_em,1}]}}

Crash dump was written to: erl_crash.dump
init terminating in do_boot ()

That crash dump is very long and, to me, utterly incomprehensible.
Running rabbitmq-server gets a similar result:

# /usr/sbin/rabbitmq-server
{"init terminating in do_boot",{undef,[{rabbit,start,[]},
{init,start_it,1},{init,start_em,1}]}}

Crash dump was written to: erl_crash.dump
init terminating in do_boot ()

Even though it runs fine from the init script:

# service start rabbitmq-server
 > Starting rabbitmq-server: SUCCESS

I've been tinkering and playing around but can't figure it out. Any
clues? It's not a showstopper, rabbitmq's running fine from the
scripts, just wondering what it could be and not familiar enough with
the erlang environment to put my finger on it.

Thanks a lot,

Sho