[rabbitmq-discuss] erlang-client issue, discarding content?

Matthias Radestock matthias at lshift.net
Fri Jul 31 00:37:48 BST 2009

Suhail,

Suhail Doshi wrote:
> Yeah definitely has to be, the moment I kill it the memory drops back
> down and it is gradually growing, you can even see it gradually growing
> in the images.

Do you definitely see the rabbit process consuming the memory? How big
does it get? And what about CPU usage?

The reason I am asking is that killing the server also affects the
clients, i.e. it is possible that a *client* is consuming all the
memory, and releases it as soon as the server connection is severed.

So please check the *per-process* memory and CPU stats.

Now, if it really is the server that is eating the memory, please run
all the various list_* commands in rabbitmqctl to see whether any of
them are showing growth.

Finally, try publishing messages without marking them as persistent, and
see whether that changes the behaviour.

Regards,

Matthias.