[rabbitmq-discuss] is there a good way to upgrade my broker without losing messages?

Ryan Davis ryan at acceleration.net
Wed Jul 29 18:07:27 BST 2009

I'm currently running an older version of RabbitMQ (1.5.1) on windows,
using a single broker for my lightly-loaded system.  All
publishers/consumers are pointed to that broker.  I want to upgrade to
1.6, but don't want to lose any messages.  I cannot turn off all
publishers (messages come from external sources).   I've read that the
db schema changes, and the old db essentially gets replaced.  This means
even durable messages will get discarded, right?

I've come up with a few ideas involving putting up another RabbitMQ
instance (point publishers at the new broker, let my consumers empty the
old broker, point consumers at the new broker), but I was wondering: is
there easier way to do it?  How do people currently handle upgrades?

Thanks,

--
Ryan Davis
Acceleration.net