[rabbitmq-discuss] Login woes with the Ruby amqp library

Matthias Radestock matthias at lshift.net
Tue Jul 21 20:46:12 BST 2009

Mathias,

Mathias Meyer wrote:
> The problem is rather simple, I try to log in with invalid data.
> RabbitMQ's way seems to be to log an error and shutdown the
> connection. The library on the other hand doesn't seem to take that
> too seriously, and tries reopening connections like crazy, immediately
> after the previous connection has been closed. Obviously the log is
> showing the right errors with access_refused as you'd expect, but I'm
> not sure if that error actually reaches the client or is handled by it
> in any way. Does the server return the error to the client at all?

 From section 2.2.4 of the AMQP 0-9-1 spec:
<quote>
There is no hand-shaking for errors on connections that are not fully
open. Following successful protocol header negotiation, which is defined
in detail later, and prior to sending or receiving Open or Open-Ok, a
peer that detects an error MUST close the socket without sending any
further data.
</quote>

In other words, an authentication failure will result in the connection
getting closed by the server, without it sending any error to the client.

Regards,

Matthias.