[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ 1.6 persistence?

Ben Hood 0x6e6562 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 23:48:11 BST 2009

Chris,

On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 11:59 PM, Chris
Wiegand<cwiegand at mobileaccord.com> wrote:
> I’m finding that if the erlang session dies

What do you mean by Erlang session? Do you mean that the Erlang VM process dies?

> (like say if I kill it, or try to pump in 1 million
> messages and it runs out of memory),

In 1.6.0 every message is resident in memory - solution to this is
being developed ATM.

> and then I re-start the RabbitMQ server
> it takes a rather long time to load the persistence stuff, but then just
> clears out the queues, and the file (rabbit_persister.LOG) just gets
> truncated and the messages were not persisted.
>

> Am I misunderstanding how RabbitMQ implements persistence? I expected that
> if the broker stops, and then gets relaunched that it would reload the last
> saved state for the queues, etc.., but that doesn’t seem to be taking place.
> We’re running it under Windows, under the most recent version of erlang
> (also just downloaded last week), in case that would affect anything. I’ll
> try this under Linux and OpenSolaris here soon, in case that makes a
> difference.
>

> I’m using the .Net bindings, and setting the BasicProperties’ DeliveryMode
> to 2 for persistence, is there anything else I have to do to make a queue
> persist?

OFV and if you have queues bound to your exchanges, what you are
describing should probably not be happening. Can you give us a cut
down version of your code that reproduces this behaviour?

Ben