[rabbitmq-discuss] tcp -> rabbitmq gives emfile + 541

Michael Nacos m.nacos at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 17:14:05 BST 2009

Dear Matthew,

I'm afraid it's still not quite ready. Most of the core work is done and

it's not a trivial problem, and it'll be such a cool feature! I guess it's
wishful hearing that made me think it's ready :)

Can you check the logs and say whether you get alarm high_water_mark
> type messages in there? Also, in these cases, does free, or similar,
> show pretty much no free RAM? Also, does a ball park calcualation of
> message size * 200000 give you about your amount of RAM (within a factor
> of 2)?

could you offer a rule of thumb for calculating the AMQP message size? I am
sending lists of 5-10 ASCII characters. Judging from the disk space consumed
by the mnesia directory, however, I think it's possible we are exhausting
the RAM, if all messages are also kept in memory. And yes, just before the
vm crashes, free shows little memory left (~150Mb), there is a little bit of
lag between reaching this amount and the crash, it's a little hard to tell
because rabbitmq runs on the database server and there are other programs
running as well. There's no indication of any problems in the logs, except

=SUPERVISOR REPORT==== 1-Jul-2009::15:46:06 ===
     Supervisor: {local,rabbit_sup}
     Context:    shutdown_error
     Reason:     shutdown
     Offender:   [{pid,<0.142.0>},
                  {name,rabbit_persister},
                  {mfa,{rabbit_persister,start_link,[]}},
                  {restart_type,transient},
                  {shutdown,100},
                  {child_type,worker}]

in rabbit-sasl.log (but the vm definetly dies)

cheers, Michael