[rabbitmq-discuss] Installation help

Matthias Radestock matthias at lshift.net
Thu Jan 29 22:26:11 GMT 2009

Michael,

Michael Steinfeld wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 4:25 PM, Matthias Radestock <matthias at lshift.net> wrote:
>> Matt Heitzenroder wrote:
>>> *Issue:*
>>> matt at c1203:~$ sudo rabbitmqctl status
>>> {"init terminating in
>>> do_boot",{undef,[{rabbit_control,start,[]},{init,start_it,1},{init,start_em,1}]}}
>>> init terminating in do_boot ()
>>> [...]
>>> I compiled erlang from source.
>>>
>>> I used the rabbitmq server 1.5.1 deb installation on an Ubuntu box.
>>>
>>> I added /sbin/rabbitmq-server from the VCS & made it executable.
>

> Hmm, I installed it the same way.. on RHEL (from source)

What do you mean by "the same way"? Matt's problems stem from combining
a debian-packaged RabbitMQ with a manually installed Erlang. Presumably
you didn't install the debian package on RHEL, but either chose the rpm
or "generic unix" route.

> but I set ERLANG_HOME=/usr/local/lib/erlang/lib (you had /usr/local/lib/erlang)

That sounds wrong. However, none of the rabbit scripts depend on that
setting directly.

> also I just put the rabbit scripts in there as well and linked them to
> /usr/local/bin/
>
> HTH.. it was a bit of a struggle for me as well.

Sorry to hear it was a struggle. Is there something missing, wrong or
unclear in our installation instructions at
http://www.rabbitmq.com/install.html?

Regards,

Matthias.