[rabbitmq-discuss] A new exchange type

Bill Soudan bill at soudan.net
Wed Jan 28 17:25:32 GMT 2009

I had sent a message a month or two ago about this as well, but then I was sidetracked... on the main website, the last-value-cache is described as an external service, but I agree it makes more sense (and I believe I asked about) to implement it as a new exchange type.

Unfortunately I just haven't had the time to work an the implementation yet, but I agree this would be extremely useful and that an exchange type (or new flag?) seems the natural place to implement this in AMQP.

The only thing that is unresolved in my mind is the corner case when a queue binds to a topic but there has been NO value published for the topic.  What to do here?  In an asynchronous system, you may need to be able to distinguish between "no-current-value" and "the-current-value-is-just-taking-a-long-time-to-arrive".  Prior to AMQP, I was using some custom middleware and I'd implemented a 'no-current-value' message for this condition.  Some options, but I haven't explored them thoroughly yet:

1) Deliver a 'no-current-value' message using the regular publish mechanism.  Easy to implement, but perhaps not the best given there are no other cases that I'm currently aware where AMQP servers generate content.

2) Implement a new AMQP message that indicates this condition and deliver it after the queue.bind if there is no current cached value.  Better than #1 but requires cooperation from the AMQP guys?

3) If there is a AMQP queue.bind_ok message (I think?), then deliver the current value prior to the bind_ok message.  This implies if there is no data delivered before the bind_ok, that there is no current value.  Possibly forbidden by the specification, however, but requires no special content message, no new AMQP implementation, and probably fits most naturally in the implementation (receive bind request, send the most recent value if any, reply bind_ok).  My favorite option if the spec allows it.

Bill