[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ experience

Tony Garnock-Jones tonyg at lshift.net
Tue Jan 27 22:05:07 GMT 2009

Martin Sustrik wrote:
> Hm, interesting. I've never thought of that kind of metric. Possibly
> something like "if there's a peak lasting N seconds containing M
> messages there's a 50% chance that the max latency will exceed X
> microseconds". The obvious problem is that there are to many free
> variables in the formula.

Yeah. Hmm. Well, LD50 is measured IIRC along the lines of "LD50 is this
many mg/kg in mice", so there's a dependency on species, amount of
bodyweight, and amount of drug. Still doesn't help with our problem, of
course :-)

Those charts you linked earlier were interesting. The 1/lambda chart had
a sharp corner where the network took over from the CPU as the
bottleneck. Perhaps the location (and sharpness?) of the corner is a
relevant measure?