[rabbitmq-discuss] Message Priority & 'Headers' Exchange Type (was: Net::AMQP Perl Client - Status?)

Darien Kindlund darien at kindlund.com
Wed Jan 14 19:47:23 GMT 2009

Hi Ben & Tony,

Understood.  I would say message prioritization would be exceedingly
useful from an operational perspective.   This is something normally
that each AMQP-aware application we implement would benefit from.
Otherwise, we'd have to create different queues per priority and have
the app monitor each queue in priority-based order.  Not impossible to
implement, but not ideal.

Taking that type of implementation to the next logical step:
1) Is there any way to perform "non-blocking" SUBSCRIBEs via
Net::Stomp to RabbitMQ, in order to have a perl consumer application
monitor multiple queues in series?  Or, is the recommendation to use
something like ithreads to create a separate thread per subscription
and multiplex the messages manually within the application?  (See what
I mean, by increased complexity costs on the app?)

The 'headers' exchange type comes in handy as a customizable
specification.  Yes, we can 'transcode' requirements like (Foo: A,
Bar: B) into queues with routing keys of (foo.*.bar.*), but that gets
awkward for really long lists of headers.  With the
'message.destination' size of 'str8', that's 255 UTF-8 chars, so it
doesn't scale nicely.  Though, it's not a show stopper for initial
use.

Regards,
-- Darien