[rabbitmq-discuss] AMQP & Python Write-Up

Alexis Richardson alexis.richardson at cohesiveft.com
Wed Jan 14 09:07:24 GMT 2009

Jason,

Great article.  Thanks very much for writing and publishing it.  I
want to second what Ben said and highlight a couple more things:

* Thanks for the section on how routing works.  This is very useful
information for the community.  For example you explain that a direct
exchange is sufficient for pubsub because a routing key ("audit" in
your example) can be used by more than one queue.  Sometimes people
have found it useful to draw an analogy between AMQP messaging
routing, and SMTP email routing.  Your "audit" pubsub example
demonstrates a distinction from how email is normally used, where
typically (not always..) an email will be routed to one inbox per
addressee.

* I was intrigued by your use of the word "route" to describe a
binding.  This concept is worth discussing.  For one thing, "route" is
suggestive of a more general model, in which routes can be composed
into longer routes from source to destination.  In other words: relays
and federation.  Any thoughts on this?

* You talk about persistence quite a bit, and say "enough moving parts
to make a mistake".  I think we all agree this could be made simpler
for users and developers.  Any suggestions?   They would be most
welcome :-)

Cheers

alexis