[rabbitmq-discuss] Getting Started with RabbitMQ

Joern opendev at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 08:31:32 GMT 2009

Hi Alexis, hi Tony,

2009/2/17 Alexis Richardson <alexis.richardson at cohesiveft.com>:

> My thought was that the first few paragraphs need an even simpler
> introduction, maybe something like "AMQP combines messaging models
> into one protocol, including pubsub, point to point, store and
> forward".

I only wrote about the AMQP model, everything else was already there.
I think there is still a quite substantial problem with the text (with
others being related to it):

 - It does not clearly communicate the specification version targeted (0.10)
 - It does not clearly communicate the differences between the version
(0.8 ... 0.10)

I used 0.10 as it is (IMHO at least) a much more structured read than
it's predecessors. Some concepts however (such as sessions) are not
directly present in RabbitMQ with 0.8 being it's target (btw - how far
down the road is 0.10?). Maybe someone with more knowledge about the
details could write something about the key differences between the
revisions?

Related to that problem is that the article should highlight the
failure modes (returns, the mandatory / immidiate flag, manual acks,
delievery modes and unroutable messages) - these are quite important
things for most users of AMQP. Since these have changed between the
revisions it would make quite a lot of sense to detail failure modes
and error handling in a form where the differences between the spec
revisions could also be highlighted.

Best regards,

Joern