[rabbitmq-discuss] Cluster Pathology

Jason J. W. Williams jasonjwwilliams at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 01:54:05 GMT 2009

HI Dmitriy,

I don't expect the messages to get moved when the node comes back
up....well it would be nice, but I accept that it doesn't happen (in
fact, if the queue has been redeclared on another node during the
downtime, the messages "appear" to be lost when the downed node
returns...I'm sure they could be recovered from the persister log).

The fact that Node A is down is the crux of the issue (maybe it's
power supply blew? maybe it's disks are toast). Anyone subscribed to a
Node A-sourced queue via Node B gets orphaned (they don't get notified
it doesn't exist anymore, and recreation by someone else on Node B
doesn't apply to them). The point of our cluster is failover with the
future possibility of scaling the cluster. But first and foremost,
fail over. If subscribers on Node B get orphaned, they can't help
drain the queue when its been recreated, and it could be some time
before anyone realizes they're just twiddling their thumbs.

I realize message replication in a cluster is not an easy problem. But
I think it's fair to assume the queue itself (w/o messages) will be
migrated to a still alive node, or any subscribers to that queue on a
still alive node will get booted so they don't get orphaned.

-J